Vergennes Panton Water Treatment Facility
Location: Vergennes, Vermont
This project received the ACEC Engineering Excellence Award.
The main components of the improvement project included:
- replacement of the Filtration System and associated process piping, to improve reliability and increase capacity;
- replacement of existing 36-year-old pumps;
- control and alarm system improvements;
- heating improvements and insulation;
- upgrade of the air ventilation and dehumidification equipment;
- replacement of the existing emergency generator;
- recoating of the 36-year-old steel Chlorine Contact tank;
- improvements to the chemical storage and feed equipment; and
upgrade of the electrical system.
This water facility project allows the plant to take surface water from Lake Champlain, process, filter it, and then provide safe, clean, drinkable, excellent water for its customers.
The facility upgrade enables the water plant to treat up to 1 million gallons of water daily and prepares the facility's soundness for the next 30 to 40 years.